RCOE Middle/Secondary Path to Licensure:
1. Do you hold as B.S. degree with a 3.0 GPA?
If Yes: You may choose to apply to the CTE or Middle Grades online G-cert program.
If No: Your GPA may be re-calculated on the most recent 60 hours of your coursework and you may then choose to apply to the CTE or Middle Grades online G-cert program. If your GPA is still not at the 3.0 level you may want to seek a Regional Alternative Licensure Center (RALC) in the state of North Carolina as another option for recommendation for licensure.
2. Once you apply to Middle Grades, CTE you will have your transcript evaluated to see if you meet the 24 hour content requirement. If you do not, you will be advised which classes to take as co-requisites during the program. CTE students may choose to pass PRAXIS II instead of meeting the 24 hour content requirement.
All CTE students must take PRAXIS II before their CI 5900 field experience.
All Middle Grades must take PRAXIS II in their content area before their CI 5900 field experience.
3. All students take 18 hours of required coursework at the graduate level.
4. If you are employed as a teacher in your own classroom (in the field for which you are seeking licensure recommendation) you may complete the 6 hour CI 5900 field experience in your own classroom. If you have been teaching for a minimum of 1.5 years prior to CI 5900 you may request the 1 hour portfolio option.
If you are not employed as a teacher, you will request/be assigned a placement for the 6 hour CI 5900 field experience.
5. Once you successfully complete all 18 hours of coursework and your CI 5900 field experience you will be recommended and apply for your NC teaching license and your graduate certificate.
6. If you choose to then apply for a Master's degree at Appalachian State, you may count up to 18 hours towards that next degree.